In the May/June 2013 issue of Sky News magazine, I write in my Wilderness Astronomer column about a dark sky preserve that never-was.
At times, Ontario Parks calls it a “Provincial Park“…at other times, it’s a “Signature Site“. For clarity, we’ve called it “Kawartha Highlands Provincial Park” in the magazine.)
Official or not, Kawartha Highlands is a dark sky locale well-worth travelling to…
…As promised at the end of the magazine column, here are some more resources to help you enjoy (or just learn about) this wonderful, little-known wilderness stargazing site:
- Buckhorn Observatory (on the edge of the park)
- Dark sky map of the area
- First Nations star stories from the area
- Kawartha Highlands camping information
- Non-camping accommodations near the park
- Restaurants (in Buckhorn)
- Detailed zoomable map of the park (click on “Map” at “Map/Satellite” at upper-left to toggle labels)
Link to this post!